• Author

brentjohnson309
    Participant

Hello, I’m the guy that made the “Miku Park” Realspace3D demo a while back. I was working on a new version and comparing it to the old one. It appears the old version of Realspace (0.95/0.97) has much better spacial sound quality than the newest 0.10.7. I am able to hear the music coming from about my head with the rift on, when I look up it appears to be coming precisely from that direction. I also tried updating to the newest version Oculus Audio SDK to comepare and am getting the same (bad) results. You cannot easily tell the music is coming from above your head like in older versions of Realspace3D, and I am not sure what changed here.

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up on this, I also tested the speaker in the house in the old tuscany demo and compared it to the Oculus Audio SDK and Realspace samples, I placed the speaker above with the exact same music and the same settings. I could not tell it was coming from above my head with newest versions of either rs3d or the oculus audio sdk. If you need me to post two separate demos to illustrate this issue I can do that.

Just wanted to give a heads up! Brent

Rod_RealSpace3D
    Keymaster

Hello Brent,

Thanks for your post and we do remember and like “Miku Park.”

Have you tried using different HRTFs? You can select different HRTFs from the RS3D AudioListener. Can you try different ones to see if you get better elevation? Please do post the demos so that we can listen to what you are experiencing.

Thanks,
    Rod

brentjohnson309
    Participant

Here is a link, https://mega.nz/#!E4pU3KTR!kbkf50H3RtsG7rBa0EKM5fTSAJec6yPaPzeQ52kD9FU may have to use old 0.6.0.1 to test both side by side. One is old realspace demo, one is Oculus audio SDK. I will make one more with the new Realspace3D shortly (similar issue) 3D hortizontally around sound is good, it’s just the over the head stuff that appears to have become less impactful.

Rod_RealSpace3D
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the drop. We have listened and I hear elevation but wondering if there is something else in the settings. Can you send your email address to moc.s1495579310cinos1495579310isiv@1495579310tropp1495579310us1495579310 and then I will contact you directly.

Thanks,
    Rod

Rod_RealSpace3D
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

I tried out your project and placed a RS3D Virtual Room into the scene and placed the RS3D AudioSource in the virtual room. The audio gives the reflections. The version of RS3D Audio that you previously used had the room reflections tied to the audio source. We have since upgraded and changed the work flow. The audio source and virtual room are separate objects thus allowing sound sources to be independent and take on the characteristics of the virtual rooms.

Try placing a virtual room in your scene and placing a RS3D audio source in the RS3D Virtual room. I think the “default” room setting is what you previously used in Miku Park.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Oculus has licensed our technology but their product and ours are two separate products. They have modified our code base to their liking. So, I cannot comment on their audio at all.

Thanks,
    Rod

Rod_RealSpace3D
    Keymaster

Also, as I mentioned in an earlier posting you can select different HRTFs from the RS3D AudioListener and see which one gives you better elevation.

/Rod

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.